Digital marketing today is important not only to tech companies, but has become essential to almost every business, as more potential customers are becoming increasingly active online.
The growing requirement for digital marketing has also created a corresponding increase in demand for digital marketing professionals who can create, execute and optimize online advertising and customer acquisition campaigns. There are several digital marketing courses and certification programs that you can enroll for and start a shining digital marketing career today.
With the right experience and a well rounded portfolio, one can secure a well paying digital marketing job.
We will take a look at each of the key roles in the Digital Marketing hierarchy and help you understand the key responsibilities and average salaries for each of these roles.
Digital Marketing Executive/Associate
This is an entry-level role suitable for a fresher. You may start applying for this job role right after completing any of the digital marketing courses. It is not necessary to hold a degree from a full time college or university to be eligible. Even online certifications are widely accepted for this role. The job responsibilities include:
- Knowledge of Facebook Ads Manager, Google Ads and Media buying (Complete User Funnel Targeting and Converting)
- Building an audience persona, creating the content strategy and targeting the audience with the strategy to ultimately convert them as customers.
- Strong understanding of bidding techniques (AutoBid, CPC, CPS)
- Must have understanding of landing page optimizations for a better conversion rate.
- Managing and monitoring growth by implementing campaign solutions; build campaigns, monitor and optimize for performance and work towards marketing objectives.
- Managing the implementation, tracking, and measurement of integrated digital marketing campaigns within the timelines and budgets.
- Familiarity with A/B and multivariate experiments
- Should have and previously demonstrated an ability to prioritize and meet deadlines when working on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Religiously tracking funnel conversion and identify key areas for improvement. Engage with the concerned team to drive engagements and deliver results
The average salary of a digital marketing executive is Rs. 1,50,000 to Rs. 2,00,000
Digital Marketing Specialist / Team Lead
The Digital Marketing Specialist leads the marketing campaigns after the approval from the management and head of marketing. The job responsibilities often include:
- Coordinating with the SEO strategist
- Working closely with the Digital Marketing Executive and Strategist to execute the strategy
- Overseeing execution of SEO, Media Buying and Paid campaigns
- Presenting campaign reports to the Digital marketing Manager
- Planning, creating and executing various strategies to drive web traffic to the product pages and company website
- Defining the KPIs and reporting for all campaigns
- Developing and managing digital marketing campaigns
- Overseeing the social media strategy for the company
- Making sure that the budgets are being spent well with the optimized cost per click and cost per acquisition
- Planning, creating, designing and executing all email marketing campaigns for the company
- Collate and report back on the performance metrics for all digital communications across all channels, using these statistics to influence future digital activity.
- Keeping up to date with changes and advances in social media and advising on new channels and approaches to
- Monitoring social media channels for brand mentions and engaging with customers.
A Digital Marketing Specialist typically earns between Rs. 2,50,000 to Rs. 5,00,000
Digital Marketing Strategist / Analyst
A Digital Marketing Strategists job is to set overall digital marketing strategies based on data backed insights, and executing them with predetermined goals and KPIs in mind. The role is next to the head of digital marketing in a general hierarchy of digital marketing profiles. Thus, the role of a digital marketing strategist includes engaging with the head of marketing and the top level management to understand their needs in terms of revenue, branding and campaign objectives. The role comes packed with responsibilities such as
- Engage with top management teams to define content strategy, requirements, the go to market approach, business targets, delivery timelines and project resources
- Support the business development process by convincing internal and external stakeholders about the value proposition of the proposed solution
- Work with different stakeholders, sales, inside sales, account management team and delivery teams to pitch new projects / solutions / capabilities to clients
- Develop the staff and skills necessary to operate a reliable, efficient and highly effective delivery organization for new business solutions and ongoing operations
A Strategist is generally paid Rs. 4,00,000 to Rs. 9,00,000
Head of Digital Marketing
This individual heads the entire digital marketing department and in most cases reports directly to the Head of Sales and Marketing or to the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). The key responsibilities include tasks from ideation to media planning to optimization and performance analysis of the campaigns, and reporting the results to the management.
The average salary of the Head of Digital Marketing is Rs. 9,00,000 to Rs. 20,00,000 and beyond.
Digital Marketing is a fast paced and exciting space to be in. There are many opportunities for you to learn and grow. An analytical mindset coupled with the right experience is all you need to work your way up the ladder and achieve your career goals.
More success to you!